Australian Academics call for Leadership on Fossil fuels
Our best research tells us that protecting health, economies and ecosystems in the public interest requires leaving most carbon reserves in the ground. The transition to clean energy is under way and already increasing risk for fossil fuel investors.
Australia's universities, Academies and research institutions should lead these debates. They should
- affirm the need to keep most fossil fuel carbon in the ground,
- affirm their responsibility to show leadership in their actions, and
- develop policies on the moral and financial risks from fossil fuels in their own finances.
Research from The Australia Institute:
- Leading By Degrees - Universities and Fossil Fuel Divestment - in the debates about moral leadership, most Australians agree universities should avoid fossil fuel investments.
- Climate Proofing Your Finances - early research on legal, financial and moral aspects of fossil fuel investments.
We, the undersigned staff of Australia's universities, call for leadership on fossil fuels. Australia's universities, Academies and research institutions should develop policies on the moral and financial risks from fossil fuels in their own finances.